For some reason, I’ve gotten into a baking mood. I decided to make some bread, but upon looking in my cupboard, I don’t have any yeast. Thus prompting me to find a way to make bread without it.
I came across this lovely recipe for yeast free bread.
•3 cups whole wheat flour (preferably stone ground)
•4 teaspoons baking powder
•1 teaspoon salt
•1 1/2 cups water, or any other liquid.
•1/4 cup liquid fat (melted dairy free margarine, vegetable oil, olive oil, etc.)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Do not sift the flour.
2. Mix liquids in a desperate bowl then add to the flour mixture.
3. Stir until there is no more dry flour.
4. The dough should be moist, not sticky. Depending on the humidity in your area, you may need more or less liquid to the dough. Give the flour a minute or two to soak on the liquid, you don’t want to rush adding extra liquid.
5. With poled hands, to precent the dough from stocking to your hands, either make the dough into a ball and place on a clean baking sheet or put it in a bread pan.
6. Lightly score the top of the dough with an X or diamond shape to avoid cracking the crust while baking.
7. Bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes and turn out onto a clean wire rack to finish cooling.
You can add different liquids depending on what tastes you want or the occasion. I added Vanilla Almond Milk to mine for a sweeter taste. You can add any fruit juice, vegetable juice, or other liquids in place of water depending on your preferences and tastes. This recipe is a country style bread, so it’s meant to be cut thick.
I hope you enjoy it!